The Housing Support Program is designed to assist adults with mental illness in obtaining and maintaining safe, affordable housing. Northland Counseling Center Inc. in conjunction with Itasca County HRA, provides affordable housing for people in need under the Federal HUD Housing Guidelines. The Bridges Housing application is taken by appointment only by a Northland Counseling Center Inc. housing staff.
Northland Counseling Center, Inc. offers two distinct HUD subsidized housing programs
If you are mentally ill and are homeless or need housing supports, please contact the Housing staff at Northland Counseling Center Inc. at (218) 360-3663
- Midway Villa is a 14 single room, permanent, subsidized, efficiency apartments serving homeless adults in a safe and secure setting located in Grand Rapids MN.
- Shelter Plus Care offers permanent, subsidized housing in the Itasca County area for adults with mental illness. They must have a Mental Health case manager, an active treatment plan and be homeless under HUD's definition.
HUD Homeless Definition
- An individual or family who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate night time residence, meaning:
- A car
- A park
- An abandoned building
- A bus or train station
- An airport
- A camp ground
- Is living in a publicly or privately operated shelter designated to provide temporary living arrangements, including:
- Congregate shelters
- Shelters for families, singles, youth,
- Transitional housing (must have entered transitional housing from streets or shelter)
- Hotels and motels paid for the charitable organizations or federal/state/local government programs
- Is exiting an institution where he/she has resided for 90 days or less and who resided in an emergency shelter or place not meant for human habitation immediately before entering that institution
View more info at: